Your Shadow Systems pistol features the NPOA (natural point of aim) interchangeable backstrap system. Each backstrap is designed to alter how the pistol points to allow you to tune it to your natural sense of where the muzzle is oriented. This speeds up sight alignment as the pistol is presented to the target and can help you “find the dot” if you are choosing to run an electronic dot sight.
Backstraps:Each backstrap has a letter on one of the circles on the back to indicate its purpose:
- H – HIGH. This backstrap places the muzzle in a relatively high point. This will point very similarly to a stock Glock.
- N – NEUTRAL. This backstrap places the muzzle in a relatively neutral (midrange) point. This backstrap works well for many shooters and is pre-installed at the factory.
- L – LOW. This backstrap places the muzzle in a relatively low point. This backstrap works well for shooters who are very used to 1911s. It is also preferred for those with smaller hands.
- Your Shadow Systems pistol includes our pin removal tool for the backstrap and magwell pins. With hand pressure, you can push out the pins (in either direction) and experiment with different backstraps.
- Once the pin is removed, the backstrap is removed by sliding it downward off the rail on the frame.
- Your pistol will have the flat backstrap plug pre-installed at the factory. If you are not using the magwell, you will want to use this plug on the backstrap you end up selecting. If you are using a magwell, you can set this plug aside for future use.
Magwell: Your Shadow Systems pistol includes a lightweight polymer magwell that enlarges the magazine well for faster reloads. When installed, the magwell also creates a larger “lip” at the bottom of the frame which many shooters feel improves their grip and control of the gun.
- Begin installation by removing the backstrap pin with the pin removal tool.
- Install your backstrap of choice
- Insert the magwell plug into the backstrap. Insert the backstrap pin
- Place the magazine well on the bottom of the grip by starting on the frontstrap and pivoting the magwell toward the backstrap. It will “click” in place.
- Insert the shorter magwell installation pin.
Note: Many shooters feel that magazine wells can limit your ability to remove a stuck magazine during an emergency. We have tested this with our magwell and found that the shooter’s hand size, the type of magazine, and other factors can also profoundly impact this. We raise this only for your consideration and recommend thoroughly testing all of your equipment in a variety of situations.
24 Replies to “MR918 Backstrap and Magwell Features”
My comment should’ve been I purchased my MR918 Elite from Cabela’s on 01/21/2020. The weapon did not come with a mag well or two back straps. How can I purchase these items?
Hi Virgil, no need to purchase them, they should have been included with your gun. I’m so sorry they weren’t in the box! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your address so I can have those items shipped out to you today.
Hello Jessica my name is Roman Kralik and I purchase today 3/11/2020 MR918 Elite from Cabela’s in Tualatin Oregon. And I missing the extra back straps and mag well. I contacted Cabela’s and they told me they don’t have them. Is there place in your company website I can purchase the back straps and the mag well ? I will highly appreciate your help.
Hi Roman, so sorry to hear that! Please email me your shipping address and I will get those parts sent out to you free of charge. email@example.com
I just recently purchased a mr920 and a pin removal tool was not included with the gun. Where can I purchase one?
Zach, I am so sorry to hear that! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get a tool set out to you right away!
I just purchased the MR 920 and it does not have the back straps or the mag well. Can I buy them?
Nick, Thanks for alerting us! Those parts are headed out to you today.
I purchased the mr918 andI can not find the shorter pin piece to install the magwell. Can you point me where I can purchase the pin?
Here is a link to those pins: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/backstrap-magwell-pins/
Hello, I recently purchased a MR918 and it didnt come with the backstraps or magwell. Is there somehwere that I can purchase them? Thanks in advance!
Hi, here are the links to the parts you need:
– Magwell: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/magazine-well/
– Backstraps: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/backstraps-compact-frame/
You may find that you also need these:
– Pins: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/backstrap-magwell-pins/
– Tool: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/backstrap-pin-tool/
– Plug: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/backstrap-plugs/
Hi I purchased an MR 920 Elite today and was looking to install the mag well however There are parts missing such as the pin to install the mag well
Please email me your mailing address to email@example.com and I will get those parts out to you!
Just picked up my MR920 and am unable to attach mag well to gun ,missing the pin, can you point to a video that clearly shows how the pin locks the mag well to back strap
Are you missing the pin or the plug? Please email me your mailing address, and which part you’re missing, and I would be happy to get that part out to you–firstname.lastname@example.org.
As for a how to video, you can find that here: https://shadowsystemscorp.com/technical-tuesday-mr918-backstraps-and-magwell/ The magwell portion begins at about 4:44. Note, the backstop and magwell system works the same way on the MR920 as the MR918, so don’t worry that this video is a bit old.
After a month delay waiting for Mr920 War Poet to come in from the Sportsman guide, it finally got here today! Unfortunately it did not come with the back strap pin tool 🙁 is there any other method I can use to get those pins off ? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Armando, I am so sorry to hear that! Please email me directly at email@example.com with your mailing address and serial number and I will get that out to you right away!
I just custom built my Gen 4 Glock 19 using a Zaffiri Precision slide, shadow systems frame (magwell included) and threaded tin gold true precision barrel. I also had a friend install an extended mag release in tin gold, and he also dipped the rest of the minor components of my gun in tin gold.
My question is weather an aftermarket magwell in tin gold will fit on the shadow systems frame? Such as a company like true precision?? I’d buy the tin gold magwell from shadow systems but it appears that they only come with the frame in black. Please let me know if you’d like me to send you pictures of my first after market Glock build if you think it may make my question easier to answer. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Hi, to our knowledge there is no aftermarket magwell that fits our frame, as the pin system that connects our magwell is proprietary.
Just picked up a MR920 Elite. Tried to change the backstrap but the one on the gun is shorter than the replacement ones, I don’t see how the other two can fit. I don’t see how the mag well can fit either.
William, it sounds like you may have received the wrong size back straps and magwell. Can you please email your address and serial number to firstname.lastname@example.org so they can ship out the correct sized parts?
I am in love with my dr920 but when I just went to put my magwell on I came to realize I do not have the magwell plug or instillation pin. The magwell stays on surprisingly well without the plug and pin so long as I dont drop it.
Jason, please email my team at email@example.com they can send you those missing parts, free of charge!